The 10,000 square-foot Runway Events Studio and Café space is utilized by the collective entrepreneurs, but is also available to host small community meetups and private events, as well as large parties and game events, weddings, conferences, fundraising events, fashion and product shows. To book events, email [email protected].
Runway Studios is also home to the CG Venture Studio, an innovative platform for validating, building, and launching sustainable ventures through intentional connections, agile development processes, resource curation, and the use of emerging technologies. Venture Studio is currently an incubation hub for Agrilink International, AfricaLiveNetwork TV, RezBlue Arena, RezBlue Lab, Co-Fit Studio, Brands Creative Studio and Des Moines Gaming Club.
Here is the 2020-2021 snapshot:
RezBlue Arena, a virtual reality gaming arena that hosts and streams multiplayer VR gaming tournaments was installed at The Runway Center in December 2019. They opened with a Christmas Party with more than 100 guests. RezBlue is run by Kennedy Phang, who supports the development and commercialization of VR technologies. He was a Top-3 Finalist at the 2020 Virtual Immigrant Entrepreneur Summit.
- The Kaufman Foundation’s 1-Million Cups, Des Moines entrepreneurs’ had an event at The Runway Center in February 2020.
- A Des Moines Area Chamber of Commerce Ribbon-Cutting & Grand Opening Event was postponed due to the pandemic, and The Runway Center was closed to the public from March 16 – May 26, 2020.
- Curated Growth installed the infrastructure and activated Fiber Optics to fully support The Runway Center’s business incubator and co-working tenants.
- “Learning pods” were set up for the children of co-working tenants at The Runway Center, so they could utilize the high-speed WiFi for Zoom remote learning classes.
- Entrepreneurial Roundtable Sessionswere launched by Curated Growth in December 2019 – and became virtual Roundtable Sessions in February 2020. The Sessions are dedicated to helping all entrepreneurs, everywhere: including small businesses, and even individuals from the early stages of a business idea through launch and growth. Biz Assembly (BA) Virtual Roundtables are conducted via ZOOM and are currently free to attend. Register for upcoming events.
- Kayode Aregbe was welcomed as the first Operations and Project Manager at Runway Innovation Center. He has an (MABC) master's degree in business communications, with specialization in project management from Jones International University in Colorado. He is a graduate of IOWA Venture School at Drake University. His in-house hours are 9 to 5 weekdays.
- Mr. Aregbe is president of Agrilink International, an entrepreneurial start-up in Venture Studios that focuses on investment partners to impact food security and youth employment in Africa. He is from Nigeria; and one of his sons is currently working as a student intern with Kennedy Phang at RezBlue Arena and Rez Blue Lab.
Des Moines Gaming Club, eSports studio features adult and youth eSports Video club memberships, leagues, and tournaments. It's a place where youth can practice for eSports college scholarships (such as the scholarships offered a Grand View) and it is a fun destination for social events. The new gaming club was launched in December 2020 by Dan Ralston, whose father is Mike Ralston, president of the Iowa Association of Business and Industry.
- Laura Kinnard, who has an MBA and teaches at Drake University, conducted the first ever DeltaV Digital Marketingprogram via Zoom from Runway Studios in partnership with NewBoCo over the summer. The first students were all from the Cedar Rapids area and have all obtained jobs after graduation. She wants to expand this program to include Coding classes, and also offer Internships to participants in the Des Moines area.
PhotographerCarlos Anthonyis now working in Runway’s multimedia,Brands Creative Studio. He schedules family sessions, and works with business owners doing marketing photography. He will be inviting other graphic, video and photographic artists to join him in order to assist marketing clients and event planners in the shared-space collaborative.
- To discuss a photo project or event photography, email [email protected]
- Nationally Certified Fitness Trainer,Jeremiah Wright is training people one-on-one in our Co-Fit Studio using social distancing. He has also opened a Livestreaming Studio for ‘group’ fitness classes, with each person participating at home! Each person is provided with a heart rate monitor, so the trainer can actually see their heart rates on his trainer screen. He will be offering corporate memberships for remote workers to satisfy health and insurance discounts. In the past, he has also hosted Fitness Boot Camps. For more details, email:[email protected]
- Kids Closet Connection – Des Moinesis run by a young mom,CJ Buelow, who does e-commerce and pop-up retail events that allow moms to consign their children’s gently used clothing and toy items via her platform without having to be present for the sales. CJ then offers a donation service for moms who wish to donate their items afterward. She ran a Back-To-School pop-up sale during tax-free weekend that was her best sale, since she started her business three years ago. She closed out 2020 with a “Heroes Presale” event with special discounts to honor educators, first-responders, military families and foster families.Register for the next sales event.
“Looking to the future, we are now ready to find a unique person for our Runway Cyber Café & Welcome Center, so that we can provide a breakfast-club style atmosphere for early-morning walking, yoga and workout groups," said Kinnard, who currently serves as director of Runway Studios and Venture Studio. To request a media tour, fill out the form at Runwayspaces.com
Curated Growth specializes in marketing strategy and services, business validation and modeling, key resource and partner curation, location and space planning. The CG Team includes three managing partners and a dozen multi-talented advisors, associates and interns. To request an interview, text Laura Kinnard, Founder of Curated Growth/ Director of Runway Studios at 515-689-7792.